Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Hannah Rose's arrival story

My 2nd homebirth experience:

Labor began with erratic, semi-painful contractions on a Wednesday morning, but the contractions were so irregular, I thought nothing of it. They skipped around every 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 5 minutes and I could definitely still function without anyone knowing I was having contractions. I was even able to fall asleep that evening (to my surprise) despite the contractions getting a bit more painful. I even went for a 2.5-mile walk in the morning and was able to walk through the contractions, so I had no idea this was the real deal.

By 4:40pm on Thursday I was frustrated not knowing if what I was experiencing was going anywhere, so I vacuumed the house which ramped up those contractions to a painful level and every 2 minutes. However, I still thought it was nothing...thought the contractions sped up due to activity. When I finished vacuuming (5pm), I sat quietly only to witness the contractions stay every 2 minutes and getting very painful. Called the midwife at 5:20pm and then promtly hopped in my bathtub for a few minutes while DH filled the birthing tub.

The midwife was stuck in traffic and was concerned I might birth before she arrived...almost! She made it at about 6:45pm and talked me through each contraction until they got so painful, she suggested I get out of the the birthing tub and use the bathroom. One contraction in the bathroom later, I hopped on the bed, had 2 more super painful contractions and felt the need to push. The next contraction was a push of baby girl's head and the contraction after that was her body! 7:27pm she emerged at 8 pounds, 10 ounces and 20 inches long. Phew!

And the best part? My phone rang right as I was pushing, prompting my husband and my 2 boys to come in and get my phone 
(they had been praying a rosary for me to be out of pain and baby to come quickly), so my little dudes missed all the painful stuff and got to see their baby sister just as she popped out! My oldest even cut the umbilical cord! He was so proud! Seems as though God answered their prayers and I am so happy He did. :)

Even better? Oh yes! After I birthed the placenta, the midwife examined it only to find the image of a rose on the membrane! A rosary miracle rose for our little Hannah Rose!




Meet Hannah Rose:



3 comments:

  1. Sincerest congrats! You make it sound so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checked in today...great story! Many congratulations! Hannah is beautiful, what a sweet little girl. I bet the boys are thrilled! :o) Becky (from homeschool group)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes, the boys adore their new little sister!

      Delete